Wednesday 13 March 2024

Q1 2010 part 2 wildlife Philipines

 

 Palawan and Busuanga, Philippines

Here I was, thinking I’d left all the good birding behind me in Borneo, the first thing I saw was this Japanese Sparrowhawk, more concerned with a pair of drongos than with me.


Not long after that I saw this Chestnut-breasted Malkoha. Seen them before, but not often up close.

When the Blue Paradise Flycatcher crossed my path I knew I was hooked again.



Left: a Yellow-throated Leafbird, endemic of Palawan.

Right: a very common Zebra Dove, I like them, they seem so delicate.

     



Left: Ashy Drongo, Right Spangled Drongo.

Thank you Roger for helping me out with these.

O.B. Sunbirds, doing it upside down.


The Olive-backed Sunbird in Palawan has a very flash looking orange line on his breast.

There is the Pied Fantail again. Not as shy as in Sabah.

And the Common Goldenback, seen in groups of 4 or 5, making the noise of 10

Another acquientance, one I never managed to catch on film: the Plaintive Cuckoo.

The ripe apple-type fruit of Cashew nuts attract flowerpeckers. These look like Crimson-breasted Flowerpeckers, but I can’t say for sure. I was hoping to see the Palawan Flowerpecker, but I have no reference books for the Philippines.


A Hooded Pitta! At that lovely Ditatayan Island it was seen every day at the same spot.   


Another endemic: the White-vented Shama.


Tabon Scrubfowl, or Megapods, whatever you want to call them. They would not let me get closer. Too many ended up in the cooking pots, I suppose.

Ah, Black-naped Orioles again. Ohisashiburi!

Mostly seen as just a fast fluttering of green feathers, the Emerald doves on Ditaytayan Island roam around on the ground in the early morning like any other dove or pigeon, not at all acting secretive. First time ever I got a decent photo.


Mum and dad Rufous Nightheron have built a home in the mangroves near the hotsprings of Coron together with their 4 or more relatives. Very cosy.

Grey-streaked Flycatcher, I guess.


White-breasted Woodswallow

 

Calauit Island


Left: the Palawan Cherryblossom, Right: some orchid related parasite that we saw a lot on the island and in Fish Bay as well.

Native Calamian Deer

Kawaii desu ne.



Left: Colared Kingfisher again. They are everywhere! Right Black-naped Oriole.  

Ashy Drongo 

The following images don’t really belong here. But then, were do they?






Bye bye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Q2 2010 Philippines --- Ryukyu Islands, Japan.

  IN SHORT   sy ALISHAN leaves the  Philippines  and sails via  Taiwan  to  Japan ; a lot of miles (for us) and a lot of time at sea, so the...